Recent Posts

Life Jackets - Let's wear them!

Australian Jet Ski Assoc.

Join the AJSA and be a part of our awesome sport!
I know that many of you are probably thinking :Sureley this isn't a thing!" But sadly, yes it is.
There has been quite a few people spoken to by the WP's lately for launching and retrieving without lifejackets.
The law says we have to wear them but I thought I'd explain why to help get a better understanding.

OK, its unlikely anything will happen at a quiet ramp, I agree but heres 2 things to consider.
1. I have come off launching a Ski. I rode Nates 2 banger from the trailer to the beach at southport. Coming around the pontoon it died and I was on enough of a lean to fall in.
The only damage was my red face albeit lol :)
Now if the lanyard wasnt attached to me that Ski could have gone goodness knows where.
Most people have a lanyard on their lifejacket to free up their hands. Seadoo - no choice. If your lifejacket is in the storage/car where is the lanyard attached to you?
If theres an incident, a 4 stroke running loose around a ramp full of kids playing in water and all the other things happening could be carnage. try letting go of your steering just for a few seconds at idle and you'll get the idea. It's not worth taking the shortcut.

2. If safety isn't your thing, or you're more experienced than me and will never come off, then please consider this.
Our reputation is always at stake. This is a great concernt to me as I love our sport and as president of the Australian Jet Ski Association our charter is to grow our reputation as a wonderful family friendly activity.
There is always someone looking to get rid of Jet Skiers and there is plenty of that being reported at the moment. This is why we believe there is extra focus on us lately.
So let's make sure no one has anything to worry about and take the extra little bit of care to make sure everyone can use the water safely as they are entitled to :)
Be like the Jet Ski & Liz Kids, always wear your lifejacket!

Attachments